BEFORE THERE WERE IPHONES I STARED

Before the iPhone I Stared

Written By

David Steven Simon

I stared at the night sky like stars were diamonds and my eyes were jeweler loupes
I stared at the girl who made my heart twirl like a Duncan Imperial top
I stared into the crystal ball of my wild gypsy daydreams
I stared at the covers of books like they were on this season’s runway
I stared at the impending animation of sculptures and paintings
I stared at birds flying in formations as if they all got the memo
I stared at the brief life of hand held snowflakes
I stared at the technicolor dream coats of autumn trees
I stared at window displays and gave voices to mannequins
I stared into the whirligig wake of my past
I stared into my Wild West of my future
I stared at scrapbook pictures and wished I was in all of them
I stared at album covers and pretended that the singers were the friends who knew me best.
I stared at dogs and wished they knew my name
I stared at parades that moved like never ending rivers
I stared at my babysitters and whispered, “I love you.”
I stared at phones and wished that they would ring
I stared at windows, watching the seasons change like dressing room women
I stared at table top radios and imagined faces
I stared at TV sets and pretended that I could ride the Lone Ranger’s horse
I stared at movie screens and surrendered to the magic
I stared at the lips of ventriloquists and dared them to move
I stared through camera lenses and framed people like artwork
I stared at bubble gun scented baseball cards
I stared at magazines and comic books that all seemed urgent and alive
I stared at centerfolds who all had the first name, “Miss.”
I stared at grown-ups because we lived in a world of mostly kind giants 
I stared through backseat car windows as quiet lives and boastful billboards swirled by like a silent movie backdrops
I stared at new sneakers and imagined flight
I stared at my father’s knickknack drawer and tried to solve its vast mysteries
I stared at my mothers perfume bottles and felt humbled by their glamor.
I stared at toy guns that smelled like caps and considered impulsive bravery
I stared at my mother’s face whenever she said, “It’s late. We have to go home.”
I stared at bath bubbles that burst like the feather light hearts of angels
I stared with contempt at vegetables and delight at pudding and jello.

And I stared into the end of the dock darkness of my bedroom
Where I waited for sleep to arrive
Like a dependable boat
That would take me away
And return me safely to the shores of tomorrow
With time to stare.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY OWN PERSONAL MERMAID. BELIEVE IN HER.

What Must Babies Think?

When Ours Parents Are Gone