The Downpour of Dreams

I’ve been in this war way too long

Immolated by endlessness

Deserted by hope

Exiled to this outpost.

My armor

Which was meant

To protect me from 

Nothing more than 

the unforgiving blows of my 

Very worst impulses

Has become flesh

which makes it impossible to

To feel anything anymore.

And yet

The sudden vision

of my miles away

saucer-eyed

Soft as a marshmallow

grandson

enraptured by the fathomless mystery of

An empty Amazon box

Somehow manages to

Pierce through 

Riveted mail and plate coat

Like a well-placed thrust

dispersing like a downpour of dreams

Into the

cradle of my heart

Which, when it sways

Pushed by breath

And the ancient memory of 

My mother’s favorite lullaby

Makes me want to

Surrender

Lay down my sword

And for the first time in months,

Cry.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY OWN PERSONAL MERMAID. BELIEVE IN HER.

What Must Babies Think?

When Ours Parents Are Gone