I Love Lying Beneath and Above the Covers with You

I LOVE LYING BENEATH AND ABOVE THE COVERS WITH YOU

Written By
David Steven Simon

I love lying beneath and above
the covers
With you
As I trace your spine
With the earthbound
wingtip
Of my finger
Which informs me
Who you are
And how you came to be

It is the
glue and thread
of you.

There were many others before me
You had your following
And reputation

Some dumped you
Some adored you
Everyone had an opinion.

But for me
It was love at first sight.
I discovered
Within minutes that you
lusted to be
Spread wide open
Just as much as me.

Which is why I went
on the hunt
With invisible dogs
Heady with the scent of fox.

I had to be
alone with you
In the illusive
Peter Pan shadow
Of a half-lit night
Where the soundtrack is
The plaintive duet
Between
Pulse and breath
Which are the stand-ins
For Pirate
And boy.

I needed you
to be
Lost in
the ambition of my hands
Where the only voice
Was yours
Singing
the tribal warning songs
That are the prophecies
And empirical evidence
of the
wake damaged heart

I became obsessed with you
And when I was away
I carried you in the luggage
Of thought

You had moved like pioneers
into the frontier of my
Imagination and
Grew right before my very eyes
Becoming
Dress swirling
alive
With every turn
Which felt like the
Bold prophecy of a
Spontaneous
pirouette

You were so easy to read
And so difficult
to figure out

Nothing thrilled me more
Than slowly slipping off your jacket
So I could see the delicate shoulders of
The real you.

Everyone who has loved
You
Changed
you
Ripped you down
And built you back up
Is now a part
Of the helix
of my narrative
And on permanent display
In the ongoing
Exhibition
That most of the world will never see
Even when lines form

And now
what makes me sad
Is that your days are numbered

You are on your
death bed
Still inches away
Which is the
Furthest point of
intimacy.

But who will leave first?
You
Or me?
How does that work exactly,
When we arrive at the
Literary steep
of your final words?

Like everything that we set our hearts on
You will become
Obliterated matter
The asterisk of mist.

And in time
In days, not weeks,
You will be replaced
Because
Curiosity and desire
Are my dandelions

But know this:
Few will surprise me
Shock me
Infatuate me
Infuriate me
Like you

It will be impossible to let you go.

I will
Carry you to points unknown
For years to come.
And maybe more

And every day
And every day

When I remember
Or I am encouraged to

I will memorialize you with a fluted toast
At parties
And
even to the infinite stranger
Who will sit next to me
In my cafe
Who will no doubt be captivated
By why I loved you,
a cherished novel,
So very, very much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY OWN PERSONAL MERMAID. BELIEVE IN HER.

What Must Babies Think?

When Ours Parents Are Gone