An Autumn Walk

My dad is

by my side

once upon

a walk ago 

in Camelot.


The time: 

Autumn.

The soft, closely woven 

side of Twilight.


Setting: 


A New York Suburb

where a single

recalcitrant flower

squirms its way through the

frosty birth canal of 

of concrete.


Leaves leap

and twirl

around our boot tips

like a million

Jules Feiffer
ballerinas

Streetlights pop  on
in military procession
like they’re
yelling
surprise 
one
after
another.

We’re partners in silence mostly
Equals
My dad and I 
for thirty minutes or so
which feels longer
and so much more
special than an episode
of Superman 
which always left
me in 
towel caped
euphoria.

We make a
sworn to secrecy stop
at the amber lit candy store
Where a Three Musketeers bar
is shared
and 
and a sacred  oath 
is pledged
To not tell mom
Who is cooking dinner
while purring
in rollers
and robe
on a field of Mr. Cleaned linoleum
to a show tune
Like Happy Days are Here Again
Which is
a prayer
composed by 
our people
in the code
of survival.

Dad and I
talk
about important
things
A wartime summit
which is so rare
that it feels like
a holiday 
as the heavy-lidded
sky begins to
yawn and stretch
until it unspools
into a
giant 
black comforter 
quilted with 
hopeful
stars
as if it is tucking in
our conversation
into 
the permanent fairy tale of night.

I walk
slower
trying
to memorize
the moment of him:
his ear-covered knit hat
that covers
the formality of worry
and the surrender of hair
the baked in scoosh of Old Spice
the ski coat
with its
pockets of treasures
like Sen Sen (the “breath perfume”)
A go-to, you never know, nail clipper
and a monogrammed handkerchief
which was always predisposed to
gallantly rescue the next
tearful maiden in distress.

And now here I am
somewhere in the Flash Gordon
future
that once seemed 
as unreachable
as the moon


And now here I am

somewhere 

in the Flash Gordon future

that once upon a time seemed 

as unreachable

as the moon

where I live now

spending most of my time

trying to catch

memories

in my starlit net

that flutter madly

like a kaleidoscope of

Hedylidae butterflies.


I cannot remember

if I held my dad’s hand then


But every year

as the leaves turn

gold 

and maple tree red

I close my eyes

And

I reach out.


And he takes it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY OWN PERSONAL MERMAID. BELIEVE IN HER.

What Must Babies Think?

When Ours Parents Are Gone