The Egg on the Subway




Friday morning
A Mixmaster of a
 New York subway car ride
Where I sit
Dressed in the formal suit of  sadness
My reflection looks like it could say
”Hello, my name is Johnny Cash.”

Sitting across from me
Is a woman
Not old
Not young
Peeling a
Hardboiled 
egg
With the 
Confident hand 
of a
Mt. Sinai surgeon
Who specializes in
In the field of
Microscopic shell removal
And
I am
Spellbound 
by the
Jiggly 
near naked 
ovoid
Which, like me,
Simply does not belong here
Especially
In these clothes
Which is 
The official uniform
Required
To stare at the 
Casket shell
Of my cousin
A one time egg
Himself, 
Now gone, whose
Memory, like any other
Will always be as close
As the station
That we just left.

Other passengers 
Are fixated too
Drawn to the procedure
Like a group of 
White-coated interns
Sitting in the bleachers 
Of a
Surgical theater.

Just as our unsterilized  MASH unit
Reaches
The station
Dr. Egg finishes with a flourish
And stands
In post-op. triumph,
Invisible nurses dab her brow
And she takes a cautious
tender
nibble
Like she’s nuzzling
A newborn 
and
Suddenly our eyes lock
And we communicate  in the sacred language
Of the connected retinas.

I transmit my heartfelt congratulations
Which she receives with 
The grin of the naughty schoolgirl
Caught.
And then
The doors 
bang open 
And
She joins the working class
stampede.
And I 
Step onto
The magic carpet ride 
Of death
Which has arrived,
Like the grim, double-parked hearse
Which  sits in front of the chapel,
to take me away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY OWN PERSONAL MERMAID. BELIEVE IN HER.

What Must Babies Think?

When Ours Parents Are Gone