Why I Write


I write because 
my
heart
is like
a fussy newborn
that needs to be
swaddled
or fed
or tush-patted 
every hour
or so.

I can’t always figure out
what it wants
but I know it
wants
something
by the way that
it whimpers in the distance
or howls in the dark
like it was born into
the kingdom
of haunted houses.
And my instincts
no matter what time of day
or night it is,
always say
the same thing to me:
take care of it.
It needs you.

Since it has never learned
to  speak
we collaborate
my forever nascent heart
and I
through the ancient tongue
of subtext
where the intrinsic nature
of loss
and sadness
and regreat
grow like 
wildflowers
ready to be assiduously 
picked
and instinctively arranged
into a bouquet
or images
and pathos
whose 
pain
and unimaginable beauty
will finally be felt
once they have been
properly
assembled
in the maternal arms of
a vase.

During 
working hours
memories and cryptic
messages
are exchanged
like ground fire
triggered
by a siren song 
or the vision of
the gone girl 
gone
Which inspires us
to send off the dead
in the euphoric
rage of 
an eloquent eulogy 
whose
metaphors
and lies
are the ultimate
truth of any writer
and his 
trusty, heartfelt companion.

We go through this 
back and forth process
of self-mutilation
and rebirth
each and every day.
Reclaiming moments of life
like old wood
Without skipping a beat.
Even when we are not on speaking terms
(which always makes the work that much harder).
We find our way.
We negotiate.
We threaten.
We abandon.
And in the end, we always find our way back
to the keyboard.

Because this is what we do.

This is why I write.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MY OWN PERSONAL MERMAID. BELIEVE IN HER.

What Must Babies Think?

When Ours Parents Are Gone