The Companionship of Impulses

When I leave

I will miss walking barefoot

on a rolling tide of Central Park meadow 

like Jesus himself high atop a very green Galilee 

I will miss moseying 

like a cane twirling

bow-legged 

Chaplin 

past the silent screen cyclorama  

of Eastside shops

I will miss being swept off my feet

by the invisible scent waves of that temptress pizza 

like a rubbery Dagwood Bumpstead 

into the waiting 

parmesan painted arms of Ray

I will miss greeting 

every dog I pass

like a returning war hero  

thanking them for their service

with a formal salute

I will miss the currency exchange of

a seconds-long smile 

with a passing  looker

who will disappear 

into the crowd of swells

like a film noir dame

armed with a shimmy and a smirk

I will miss the meditative stroll 

through the cornfield maze of Strands

in search of meaning

or for someone who simply understands

me

But most of all I will miss

the companionship of impulses

which in normal times,

sent me on adventures of enlightenment 

to towering cathedrals  and skyscrapers

which I have known

since I was a little boy,

are recovery missions

that have 

in their secret vaults

the remains of my long ago broken heart



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Must Babies Think?

EVERY WORD

IT'S ONLY WORDS